From: A forum for discussion on midwifery and reproductive health research. on behalf of Soo Downe
Sent: Mon 2/19/2007 10:41 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: length of labour

I agree Mavis - as I said in my last email, it is patterns of labour and
familial tendencies that provide a much richer focus for understanding
individual norms than averaged out linear progress, though the idea of
the caseholding work is to get an understanding of a range of 'unusual
normal'. Mechthild Gross has done some interesting work on labour
patterns:

Gross MM, Drobnic S, Keirse MJ. Influence of fixed and time-dependent
factors on duration of normal first stage labor.
Birth. 2005 Mar;32(1):27-33. Gross MM, Haunschild T, Stoexen T, Methner
V, Guenter HH. Women's recognition of the spontaneous onset of labor.
Birth. 2003 Dec;30(4):267-71.

Mechthild, do you want to comment?

Ultimately, we need to surface and make visible the invisible signs midwives use to indicate how labour is progressing, even when they are not using techniques of measurement, so that 'progress' can be deliniated by these signs, and not by linear measurements. Mavis, didnt
you have a PhD student who was doing this?

all the best

soo

>>> [log in to unmask] 02/19 12:31 pm >>>

I am concerned about the somewhat mechanical concept of labour as a set
event with standards regarding its length. All midwives, who work
outside industrial-model labour wards, will have met women whose labours
differ greatly and some of whose labours stop at any point in dilatation
and start again. Or whose cervix contracts rather than dilates, Ina May
uses a lovely Spanish word for this which I can't remember. There are
pockets of midwifery knowledge around supporting women whose labours are
so long or short that they are hard for them, or whose labour has
stopped.

What women feel differs greatly too, as does what it is socially
acceptable to report feeling. We, as midwives, have a lot of influence
here.

I know you know this Chris, but I want to point out that there is
something odd about measuring what is socially or medically constructed
and then applying it to individuals. For most midwives, the tools used
to measure length of labour are defined by their work setting and
created by powerholders there. Midwives then quietly subvert this
measurement to help their clients or themselves.

By all means let us study the tools for measuring labour, but let's not
accept them as affording absolute measurement. The tools so often decide
the measurement.

Best Wishes,

Mavis

Mavis Kirkham