From: A forum for discussion on midwifery and reproductive health research. [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Chris McCourt

Sent: 12 February 2007 17:05
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: length of labour

dear all

I'm interested to know whether there is any written or research evidence on whether norms of the length of labour have changed in the recent past. I'm aware of the impact of Friedmans work on practices in labour wards, but am wondering whether there is anything to suggest further trends in what is seen as a 'normal' length of labour (and by association, whether this could be related, in either direction, to rising intervention rates)

all ideas on relevant evidence sources, or personal/professional observations welcome

Chris