Just to add to this - Ive just returned from doing some workshops on ways of maximising normal birth with some wonderful midwives in Hong Kong (following on from some similar workshops there by Paul Lewis and Cathy Warwick), and the participants were very clear that they routinely did not undertake VE's if they thought women were approaching full dilation, because, once confirmed, the second stage was strictly time limited - so they delayed as long as possible in making the confirmation. As we discussed in the workshops, this practice protects the individual woman from intervention to some extent, but skews the recorded  'norms' for length of second stage for the population of women, as Chris has noted in an earlier posting.I think this is probably a fairly universal practice? This is why Im hoping to do some work with women having truly spontaneous labours in a case-holding setting to see what the norms are! in that circumstance, following on from the work of Leah Albers, but also taking into account that labour is unlikely to be a linear process (ie progressing at any specific number of centimetres per hour). I'm also interested in correlations between maternal and sibling labour patterns on that of a currently labouring woman, particularly when she enters the realm of 'unusual normal'. It might be good to try to do some cross cultural work on this if anyone out there is interested, or to join you if you are doing it currently...?

All the best

soo

all the best

soo

Professor Soo Downe
Director
Midwifery Studies Research Unit
University of Central Lancashire
Preston  PR1  2HE
Lancashire
England

+44 (0) 1772 893815

tel: 01772  893815

>>> [log in to unmask] 02/15 3:05 pm >>>
Hello Chris, Billie and everyone - yes, I am keen to join in the discussion!  As you mentioned, Chris, I am currently writing up my PhD which focuses on power and power relationships within the context of vaginal examination in labour.  During interviews, all the midwife participants acknowledged that there is sometimes a discrepancy between what they feel on vaginal examination, and what they actually record in the notes.  This happens most often when the midwife cannot feel any cervix (i.e. full dilatation) but states in the records that it is 8 or 9cm dilated.  The rationale for doing this (and midwives were very clear on this) was that they were protecting the woman from the threat of perceived, unnecessary intervention.  As the participants said, once they record full dilatation 'the clock starts ticking'.

I think this is an intriguing example of the ways in which midwives use their own midwifery knowledge to subvert the dominant discourse which is, of course, based on Friedman's curve.  I'm not for a minute trying to suggest it is good practice - far from it - but I think it is interesting that midwives have developed this strategy and that it appears to be so widely used.

As I am writing-up at the moment I can get very, very boring on the subject but will stop here ... However, the findings throw up all sorts of interesting questions and dilemmas about how we assess cervical dilatation as well as ''normal' length of labour etc.

Best wishes to all - Mary