Dear Winston,

As Frans van Liere pointed out, these seem to be the markers of the
relative position of the quotation within the chapter. The system was
introduced in the 1230s by the Dominicans of the Saint-Jacques in
Paris. There is an interesting article on the subject by Richard and
Mary Rouse. It was published in Archivum Fratrum Praedicatorum, but I
cannot remember the issue off hand.

All the best,

Jussi Hanska

Lainaus Frans van Liere <[log in to unmask]>:

> Winston,
>
> These are probably verse locators, instead of numbers. So a chapter, such as
> III Reg. 9 could be divided into several letters, a, b, c, d, e, etc. Usually
> they go up to d, and most of the time they are written in lower
> case, not upper
> case.
>

> Frans van Liere
> Department of History, Calvin College
> 1845 Knollcrest Circle SE
> Grand Rapids, MI 49546-4402
> e-mail: [log in to unmask]
> http://www.calvin.edu/academic/history/faculty/vanlieref/
>
> Colleagues:
>
> I'm preparing an edition of a 13th-century text which often cites the Bible,
> the Gloss, and a variety of
> Biblical commentaries (Jerome, Rabanus, etc.). Most of the citations
>  are pretty
> easy to track, but I'm
> stumped by several which are followed by an initial (G, S, or A).
> I'm guessing
> this initial refers to a
> specific location within the cited Book and Chapter, but I'm not sure. For
> example:
>
> "...ut dicit Rabanus  super locum illum... III Regum IX .G."
> "ut dicit Rabanus super II  librum  Paralipomenorum capitulo VIII .G."
> "ut patet Gen. X .S."
> "de qua dicitur I Machabeorum VI, .A., II Machabeorum IX .A."
>
> This might be an obvious one to some of you, but I'd appreciate any help.
>
> Thanks,
> Winston Black

> to: [log in to unmask]
> to: [log in to unmask]