medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and culture Weinstein and Bell, Saints and Society, study multiple aspects of saints and their lives.  Much is done with statistical tables, but also a good bit of detail about lives is recounted.  Childhood is addressed particularly; I don't remember to what degree they consider mystical experiences in childhood.  Worth a look however.

Glad to see some of the references one reply to this inquiry.

best

Grover

Grover A. Zinn
William H. Danforth Professor of Religion (emeritus)
former Associate Dean, College of Arts and Sciences
Oberlin College
Oberlin, OH 44074
440-775-8866 (department)