Response received to Meg's query re non-UK residents.  I think I may have given you these details before but, if not, here it is.

Rosemary

----- Original Message -----
From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Joanna Bryant
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Friday, February 09, 2007 10:15 AM
Subject: British Library Petition

Hi Rosemary

Thanks for spreading the word about the petition - over 1200 people have signed it so far! The UK citizen/resident criteria does make it frustrating for many of the BL's international friends to lend their support. The BL's chief executive is encouraging people to write in or e-mail explaining why they value the library (see text below). This is probably the best way for your colleagues to help at this stage.

I hope this helps!

Best wishes,

Jo

The following text is lifted from the BL's website (http://www.bl.uk/spendingreview.html):

"Readers may have read in the newspapers that the British Library may have to start charging for access to the reading rooms.

We are currently working with DCMS to assist them in making the best case for the British Library in the current public sector spending review. They will present our case to the Treasury over the next few weeks and months. However all commentators agree that the current economic climate dictates that this will be a tight settlement.

You probably want to know how best to support us at this point. We should be pleased if you would let us know why the British Library is important to you and give us permission to use your letter in our campaign. Please e-mail [log in to unmask] with your name, contact number and message, or write to Lynne Brindley, Chief Executive, The British Library, 96 Euston Road, London NW1 2DB.

Thank you

Lynne Brindley
Chief Exceutive, The British Library"

I posted this petition appeal on another list serve of which I am a =
member.  It has a lot of non-British members who would like to sign a =
petition but this petition is reserved to British citizens.  Does anyone =
know of any way for the non-British supporter of the BL to endorse the =
petition/express support for it?

Rosemary Hayes

Dr RCE Hayes
Honorary Treasurer