medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and culture [M-R] Fwd: New titles on Medieval Studies from Brepols

The medieval church which is being restored at the St Fagans National History Museum in Cardiff still has its medieval font, with heavy encrustations of (probably C19-20) lime wash. The Museum has had new piscinae made for the main and side altars. Now it occurs to us to wonder: were medieval altars and piscinae ever painted? Would it depend on the stone - I know alabaster was generally painted but this may have been because it takes paint well.

Maddy

Dr Madeleine Gray
Head of History
School of Education/Ysgol Addysg
University of Wales, Newport/Prifysgol Cymru, Casnewydd
Caerleon Campus/Campws Caerllion, PO /Blwch Post 179
Newport/Casnewydd  NP18 3YG Tel: +44 (0)1633.432675

'You may not be able to change the world but at least you can embarrass the guilty'
(Jessica Mitford)