From: Cecil T Ault <[log in to unmask]>

> Black has been the color in infinity/life/death in the Indo-European
world for millenia.

yet the Islamic Suiciders of our own Enlightened Era wear white for their
final home movies --there seems to be a tradition of white being associated
with death in at least part of the Islamic world.

>For the Greeks, it was the darkness of the underworld.  In India, to this
day, black is the color of the goddess Kali who is, herself, black.  She is
all powerful.  She is life and death.  She wears a garland of skulls around
her neck.  In her begining manifestation, she is Durga, the wife of Shiva.

on whose dead body she is usally depicted as dancing, presumably after having
taught the poor fellow some kind of lesson regarding Attachments.

quite a gal, Kali.

>She is still worshipped in north east India.

and, ocassionally, in Southern Indiana.

but, all that being said, it still doesn't explain *why* black has such
associations, in so many cultures.

the Undertakers' Mythology offers an explanation.

whether that explanation is true or not is another issue.

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]