From: medieval-religion - Scholarly discussions of medieval religious culture on behalf of Ursula Troche
Sent: Wed 2/28/2007 10:49 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [M-R] significance of - Wearing Black at Funerals - spirits

Dear Rochelle, Christopher, Meg, Otfried and others,

basically then the evidence of recognition is far greater than the funeral director's 'folklore/myth'. Or can it be that different parts of the country had different beliefs - or perhaps there were different beliefs at different times? Or should we discard the undertaker completely?
I had also heard about the belief that the spirits of the dead will acquire new bodies - they used to believe that in at least parts of Germany (where i am from) as well. The belief there went beyond funerals, they thought that even vice versa, that in winter at night the spirits of the trees could attack those of the dead (except those who died by sacrifice). Did this belief also exist in Britain?
The idea of the sacrifice sounds quite horrible but as to the spirits of the deceased acquiring new bodies that might not necessarily be a bad thing.
And also there is a question on whether these beliefs belonged to medieval Christianity or 'only' to pagans.

Where can I read more on the issue? Any literature you can recommend?

Ursula

	From: "Cormack, Margaret Jean"

	>As I recall from the original posting...it was the claim of a funeral
	director (not a historian) that the deceased would not be able to recognize
	family members.

	that's right.

	>This strikes me as most unlikely, considering the number of folkloric ghosts
	that return from the dead precisely to warn the living to reform their lives.
	I´ve never heard or read of a recognition problem.

	of course, the phenomenon (from our Rationalistic point of view) is purely the
	creation of the *living*, not the dead. that being the case, recognition of
	the former by the latter is a Given.

	>I´m guessing that this is just a guess by the funeral director.

	well, i guess it may have originally been a "guess", but i believe by now what
	we're dealing with is a pretty solid piece of Undertakerly Folklore.

	to: [log in to unmask]
	to: [log in to unmask]

The all-new Yahoo! Mail <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/mail/uk/taglines/default/nowyoucan/free_from_isp/*http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=40565/*http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html>  goes wherever you go - free your email address from your Internet provider. ********************************************************************** To join the list, send the message: join medieval-religion YOUR NAME to: [log in to unmask] To send a message to the list, address it to: [log in to unmask] To leave the list, send the message: leave medieval-religion to: [log in to unmask] In order to report problems or to contact the list's owners, write to: [log in to unmask] For further information, visit our web site: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/medieval-religion.html

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]