Black has been the color in infinity/life/death in the Indo-European
world for millenia.  For the Greeks, it was the darkness of the
underworld.  In India, to this day, black is the color of the goddess
Kali who is, herself, black.  She is all powerful.  She is life and
death.  She wears a garland of skulls around her neck.  In her begnin
manifestation, she is Durga, the wife of Shiva.  She is still
worshipped in north east India.  yrs,  tom ault