From: medieval-religion - Scholarly discussions of medieval religious culture [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Jim Bugslag
Sent: Monday, February 05, 2007 8:35 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [M-R] Dressing Statues

On 5 Feb 2007 at 16:33, Matthew Gabriele wrote:

> I have a parish church in London that prior to the Reformation had four coats for the Virgin Mary.
> It seems they dressed a statute for festivals. I was wondering if you could suggest an article or
> book that I could read re. the practice. Thanks.

Dear Matthew,

Richard C. Trexler, "Habiller et déshabiller les images: esquisse d'une analyse," in
L'image et la production du sacré, Actes du colloque de Strasbourg (20-21 janvier 1988)
organisé par le Centre d'Histoire des Religions de l'Université de Strasbourg II, Groupe «
Théorie et pratique de l'image cultuelle », ed. Françoise Dunand, Jean-Michel Spieser and
Jean Wirth (Paris: Méridiens Klincksieck, 1991), pp. 195-231

Marlene Albert-Llorca, Les Vierges miraculeuses. Legendes et rituels (Paris: Gallimard,
2002)

The former is more historical, the latter more contemporary, based on field work largely in
the diocese of Valencia in Spain.  Unfortunately, the documentary evidence for England is
now quite negligible, although for Marian devotion there, Edmund Waterton, Pietas
Mariana Britannica: A History of English Devotion to the Most Blessed Virgin Marye
Mother of God, with a Catalogue of Shrines, Sanctuaries, Offerings, Bequests, and Other
Memorials of the Piety of Our Forefathers (London, 1879) is a real treasure trove of
information on the Pre-Reformation situation.  Continental sources are much richer,
particularly in those places which have continuously been Catholic.  They are a sort of "foot
in the door", as far as England is concerned.
Cheers,
Jim Bugslag

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]