Dear Meg,

Slightly off-topic: as for medieval times, recognition by the dead was even a "fact", believed to be attested by Luke 16,19ss.: when Dives in the torments of Hell raises his eyes, he recognizes Lazarus whom he had known and rejected in his earlier life. The main patristic authority for this tale was Gregory's Homily on the Gospels II,40, where it is explained that personal memory is persisting after death and serves as a moral punishment of the damned. It was a standard topic in commentaries on Peter Lombard's Sententiae and other scholastic writings, and a key for understanding some of Dante-pilgrim's encounters with persons in Hell and Purgatory.

There had been some discussions whether the biblical tale was to be taken to the letter, as a "historia" rather than a "parabola", but this question was usually decided by quoting Ambrose who had pointed out that Jesus would not have used proper names (Lazarus, Abraham) if he had intended it to be a parable.

No black dressing in the case of poor Lazarus, however.

Best, O.

>      This strikes me as most unlikely, considering the number of  >folkloric ghosts that return from
>       the dead precisely to warn the living to reform their lives. >I´ve never heard or read of a recognition problem.

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]