Hi, Ursula,

There is a folk myth that the spirit of the deceased wanders around and
will try to acquire a new body and take over the other person's mind as
well. I suspect this piece of folklore is rather old. dual personalities,
two spirits in one body, zombies, etc. have been around a long time.

Yes, people do believe in this.  Two personalities call for exorcism. It's
the reason some East European Jews cover their mirrors during the week
after a death and funeral and no knots are allowed because a knot could
bind the spirit to the earthly realm. It also seems to be behind the wakes
where people deliberately get drunk so the spirit of the departed will not
recognize his/her family and friends and pick on someone else. There is
also a superstition that if a male child is born on the exact date of a
recently deceased grandfather's death, the spirit of the grandfather will
enter the child. There are lots more along these lines.

A superstition about wearing black so the relatives would not be recognized
is not only possible, but likely.

Folklore, hmmm. Perhaps spirits flitting around trying to take over another
body may be among the motifs in: Antti Amatus Aarne, 1867-1925. The Types
of the Folk-Tale: A Classification and Bibliography. Trans. Stith Thompson.
New York: Burt Franklin, 1928. At any rate, it's a place to start.

Rochelle

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]