From: medieval-religion - Scholarly discussions of medieval religious culture [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Paul Chandler
Sent: 21 February 2007 20:56
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [M-R] Carthusians

On 21/02/07, Christopher Crockett <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
as i said, i once saw --early on in my Book Dealing Career, nearly 30 years
ago-- a small cut depicting at least what i believed then (i don't remember
why) was a monk digging his own grave (i.e., not that of another monk). my (very dim) memory is that something in the context was Trappist; and the
date was 17th c. or so.

Wouldn't that be evidence for the existence of the story, but not necessarily for the existence of the practice (depending, of course, on the nature of the book you mention)? Whether the story is factual is the question Anne Thayer has posed. Maybe there is some foundation for the story about the Trappists in De Rancé's writings, but I still feel very skeptical about the existence of the specific practice: "nisi videro... non credam".

i remember it because it seemed to me to be a particularly _a propos_
practice; why the modren Church would be ashamed of it is quite beyond my ken,

There's no doubt about the important place meditation on death had as a spiritual practice, in Europe especially from the 15th century on, which is why I think it's worth considering the grave-tending story in the context of the Ars moriendi. Vandenbroucke (in Spirituality of the Middle Ages, ET 1968, 485) puts the Artes moriendi under the rubric of the "pessimism" and "macabre sensibility" of the 15th c., and while there may be some truth in that, it's hardly a great insight into a long-lasting and influential literature.

The "denial of death" is supposedly a key feature of modern culture. As you suggest, it enjoys limited success in the end, but that is perhaps a discussion for another forum.

The "Victorian houses" at Parkminster, John Briggs, surely do not compare to the surpassingly elegant Michelangelo-designed cells of the Rome Charterhouse, which is unfortunately very difficult to see. You can get a glimpse from via Cernaia and they do look extremely beautiful. An aerial photo is here http://tinyurl.com/yvpx3c (surviving cells on the left) and there is other documentation on the website.  -- Paul Chandler

--
Paul Chandler, O.Carm.  |  Institutum Carmelitanum
via Sforza Pallavicini, 10  |  00193 - Roma  |  Italy