medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and culture Only for sure:
As you know, a bishop ist not consecrated by the pope, but by other bishops, mostly of the neighborhood, under which could be (as a bishop) also the bishop of Rome. He is only - as John exactly says - confirming a bishops election. But that's another (long) story.
yours
b.k.