Nice hit on white.  Yes, white is the color worn by widows in India.
 They are not allowed to have any ornaments and they subsist on a very
plain diet.  Very devout will do penances for their husband's death.
 In "old" india, widows would throw them selves into their husband's
funeral pyre. This was called "suttee" (u as in "but"), Black is also
worn by Muslims in India.  It appears to be a Muslim import.  The
color scheme described by Christopher is close to the Indian scheme:
Red=brides, White=widdows, Saffron=priests and holy men saffron equals
fire equals purity), green=Islam.  yrs, tom ault

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]