Anne Willis wrote:

> The website below shows the triple Norman door at Stewkley,
> Buckinghamshire. There is evidence that Holy Trinity, Bradford on
> Avon, Wiltshire had a similar door of a similar date on the south
> side.  Does this type of door have any particular significance to the
> church?  Does anyone know of such doors nearer Wiltshire?

I don't believe it is a triple doorway.  I think you will find that the side
'doors' are purely decorative.  It is to make the west doorway more
imposing.  Remember that the west doorway would only be used for
ceremonial/processional purposes.  At the comparable church of Iffley, Oxon
the flanking blind arches are too impossibly tall and narrow to have ever
been doorways.

John Briggs

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]