Frans van Liere wrote:

> These are probably verse locators, instead of numbers. So a chapter,
> such as III Reg. 9 could be divided into several letters, a, b, c, d,
> e, etc. Usually they go up to d, and most of the time they are
> written in lower case, not upper case.

They can be seen as upper case letters in the margins of David Daniell's
modern-spelling edition of Tyndale's New Testament (Yale, 1989) and in the
Matthew's Bible sections of his modern-spelling edition of Tyndale's Old
Testament (Yale, 1992).  They usually go to "D", or "G" in the case of
longer chapters.

John Briggs

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]