-----Original Message-----
From: medieval-religion - Scholarly discussions of medieval religious
culture [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of John Briggs
Sent: 08 February 2007 00:50
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [M-R] the BL and other things

Dale Hample wrote:

> This is interesting, because I don't know the ins and outs of the
> British system.  I live in Illinois (USA), and a driver's license
> issued by the state of Illinois entitles you to use the libraries of
> our public universities, notably the University of Illinois -
> Urbana/Champaign.
> You can check books out, xerox whatever you find, and so forth.  The
> Rare Books Room will naturally have its own access rules.  I don't
> know about niceties like interlibrary loan - we certainly have it,
> and since it's free for me and my students I've never investigated if
> non-faculty or non-students have to pay a fee.

British universities have embraced Reaganomics, and regard the public as
milch cows to whom services should be sold - but only on the universities'
conditions, of course.  As it happens, I have a driver's licence which would

allow me to run a university library, but as a reader they certainly don't
regard me as entitled to any services.

As for the British Library, I was once (wrongly) turned away by a
jobsworth - and I suspect I only now have a reader's ticket because I have
an actual entitlement to one.  I don't know if anything has changed, but
they have always actively discouraged readers.

The crumbling public library system does its best, but it is really unable
to cope with anyone with interests at a research level.

John Briggs

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]

to: [log in to unmask]