I have a sense that the historical profession, particularly in the
English-speaking world, is not as concerned as are scientists about "gated"
access to scholarly research publications and the corresponding growth of
open access initiatives.

Roy Rosenzweig's "Should Historical Scholarship Be Free?" in the AHA
Perspectives two years ago was very striking to me <
http://www.historians.org/Perspectives/issues/2005/0504/0504vic1.cfm >, but
as far as I know it has been little discussed, and I feel a bit ill-informed
about all the issues. Perhaps someone more expert might tell us if we should
be thinking more about such matters and what kind of responses are in our
best interests in the long term (if this is not too unmedieval or
irreligious).

Other documents which seem of interest are the Budapest Initiative:
     http://www.soros.org/openaccess/index.shtml
and the Berlin Declaration:
    http://oa.mpg.de/openaccess-berlin/berlindeclaration.html

-- Paul Chandler

    medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and

--
Paul Chandler, O.Carm.  |  Institutum Carmelitanum
via Sforza Pallavicini, 10  |  00193 - Roma  |  Italy

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]