Wine in the South & on the high table.  Ale for the rest in the North.
They were still drinking ale for breakfast in the Colonial era in North
America.  Tea & Coffee had hit London, but they were luxuries over
here.

Does anyone know whether they watered wine before serving in the Middle
ages, as the ancient Greeks did?

Tom Izbicki

Thomas Izbicki
Research Services Librarian
 and Gifts-in-Kind Officer
Eisenhower Library
Johns Hopkins
Baltimore, MD 21218
(410)516-7173
fax (410)516-8399

>>> "V. Kerry Inman" <[log in to unmask]> 2/28/2007 7:58 AM >>>
medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and
culture

Before leaving the hangover, I cannot resist referring to my study
showing that
coffee was responsible for the Renaissance. With wine the primary
beverage of
the middle ages everyone was walking around with a hangover or
inebriated. Then
coffee from the Arabs of Yemen arrived in Europe and the renasance
began. I can
document this, but not right now.

--V.K.

to: [log in to unmask]