-----Original Message-----
From: medieval-religion - Scholarly discussions of medieval religious
culture [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of John Briggs
Sent: 27 February 2007 23:07
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [M-R] guide to use of geometric patterns in Islamic design

Anne Willis wrote:

> Geometry is very important in Islamic architecture which developed
> much about the same time as eg fan-vaulting in Western architecture -
> mid 13th century onwards if Gloucester is anything to go by.

No, origins in the mid-14th century at Gloucester.  Elsewhere, it is
essentially a 15th century phenomenon.  The most developed forms, with
dangly bits (e.g. Henry VII's Chapel, Westminster) that seem influenced by
Islamic architecture, date from the early 16th century.

John Briggs

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]

to: [log in to unmask]