On 17 Feb 2007, at 15:17, Brunner Karl wrote:

> medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and
> culture
>
> What ist "geschmacklos" - tasteless ?
> and "humorlos" - without sense of humour ?
> in any case: unnecessary
> very sorry Mr. Carson
> Sie haben sich daneben benommen.
> b.k.

Mr Karl, you are very kind to admit that you know not whereof you
speak, but you needn't bother. However, I do accept your apology,
since it was indeed very tasteless and humorless of you to say such
things without any justification, and in a public forum, as well.

As is quite clear, I have been perfectly civil in this discussion,
unlike Mr. Briggs, who, in the absence of any actual arguments in
favor of his position chose instead to impugn my motives for
correcting him, going so far as to suggest that I may have an
inferiority complex. If that strikes you as tasteful and humorous,
then there is not much I can say in return--such opinions are to be
pitied rather than argued against. If you have any evidence--any at
all--that I have been the least bit rude or improper, then I would
thank you to point it out, rather than merely assume that it's true.
In the absence of any such evidence, since you took it upon yourself
to insult me in public rather than via private email I will expect a
public apology.  I have done nothing more than point out an error in
a colleague's argument, and I did it in a polite and professional
manner. This is what scholars do, Mr. Karl, and it is quite clear
that Mr. Briggs knows this as well, since he does it himself all the
time. He also knows full well that he can rankle, and he probably
counts himself fortunate that he did not rankle me; at any rate, his
complaints so far have consisted of nothing more serious than a
confession that he did not understand the point I was making.

But if you doubt what I say, just consider this exchange between Mr.
Briggs and Dr. Postles, from as recently as last August:

Dr. Postles alerted the list to a new journal in these words:

> From: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: new journal
>
> [Comment: I'm posting this as a matter of interest to list
> subscribers. Should you wish to make a recommendation about this
> journal, the subscription information can be found at:
> www.english-heritage.org.uk/ehhr

Mr. Briggs was unable to find this journal online, whether due to his
own incompetence or for some other reason I cannot say, but instead
of merely writing back to Dr. Postles privately asking for
clarification, he chose to write to the entire list the following:

> It can't, of course.  And neither the search engine on the
> appalling EH website (remind me to grumble about it to Simon
> Thurley next time I see him) nor Google has heard of "English
> Heritage Historical Review".

This can be read in a neutral way, of course, and perhaps Mr. Briggs
actually thought he was being humorous (de gustibus non disputandum
est), but as my own experience here is quickly demonstrating, what
one person may intend as a neutral comment may not always be
interpreted by everyone else as a neutral comment. In any event, Dr.
Postles did not think this a neutral comment, for he responded as
follows:

> John Briggs, you must invest a hell of a lot of your time in
> deciding how to be purposely and effectively offensive.  The URL is
> correct as it was sent to me by EH.  No doubt, the website is
> behind schedule in getting the information up.  I removed the
> subscription form because it is against the etiquette of academic
> lists to post such details.  On Friday, when I am in Leicester, I
> can recover the subscription form from the UoL logs and post it off-
> list to anyone who wishes to receive it.  Please mail me at
> [log in to unmask] should you wish to receive it.  I am now leaving this
> list.

Perhaps something of an over-reaction, since if Dr. Postles really
believed that this is typical behavior of Mr. Briggs then he ought
not to have been so surprised to find him behaving so consistently.
However that may be, in the interest of fairness I have spent some
time this morning perusing the archives of the list and I have to say
that I think Dr. Postles may have been on to something, since Mr.
Briggs, whether he intends to or not, often presents his views in
ways that are brusque and rather dismissive of the views of others.
In his little kerfuffle with Dr. Postles one would imagine that
someone with good taste and humor, to borrow your own peculiar moral
categories, would have immediately set about trying to put Dr.
Postles at ease. Here is what Mr. Briggs said--again, to the whole list:

> Speaking of etiquette, just what *is* the correct way to respond to
> a personal attack of this kind?

I submit to you that this is not the attitude of a person who is at
pains to avoid having his comments misunderstood.

In the present case the facts are clear and simple. Mr. Briggs made a
comment that was in error. I corrected his error. Mr. Briggs tried to
defend his error, and in doing so made another error. I pointed out
his second error, and charitably suggested a method to help him
understand the nature of his error. Mr. Briggs interpreted my
charitable suggestion as a rude comment deriving from some imagined
secret vendetta that I am supposed to have against him because of
some putative slur against my intelligence. Mr. Briggs cannot, in
good conscience, pretend that I have been anything but professional
and to the point, and I hope that you will follow his example, or if
you cannot bring yourself to do that, at least confine your ignorant
slurs against my character to attacks via private email that I can
easily direct to the trash, where they belong.

Scott Carson

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]