Cormack, Margaret Jean wrote:

> I have been following this thread with great interest, and see the
> opportunity of getting the correct terminology for another case.
> Does one "consecrate" or "bless" an image? I have two examples of
> bishops "blessing" (the term I chose to translate the Icelandic)
> statues and crosses; on one case an indulgence is offered for those
> who fall on their knees (may I say "prostrate
> themselves" or does that imply full  body prostration?) and recite
> prayers before the statue in question. I believe one does
> "consecrate" a church, but may be wrong. Comments on the Latin
> vocabulary that apply in these cases would also be appreciated!

A priest "blesses"; a bishop "consecrates" (i.e. for actions which only a
bishop can perform).  In both cases, there is a distinction between things
and people.  Try "sanctify" to fudge the issue :-)

> PS Some friends of mine have decided to extend the celebration of St.
> Valentine's feast to include an entire octave. Is there precedent for
> this anywhere?

At a guess, I would say that a simple feast doesn't usually warrant an
octave.

John Briggs

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]