Greetings, Frans

"The quick Swiss monk jumped over the lazy Kahuna"??

More seriously, I don't see that any of the _probationes pennae_ on the page in question
http://tinyurl.com/2gckrr
have gotten beyond 'Zephyri'.  Are you sure that at St. Gall they wrote 'Kauna'?  That, after all, was one of the few places in Carolingian-period western Europe where enough Greek was known to lead one to expect 'Kauma' (the ancestor of our 'calm').

Wishing for a little kauma myself right now (with moderating zephyrs, of course),
Best,
John Dillon

On Sunday, February 11, 2007, at 1:28 pm, you wrote:

> Rochelle,
> Thank you, that is most fascinating, indeed. There's always something
> new you
> can learn. The Saint Gall manuscript, incidentally, with its various
> "probationes pennae" (including the hexameter "Adnexique globum Zephyrique
> Kauna secabant", as well as Luke 1:1, and Psalms 1:1) gave me a good
> idea for
> teaching my next class in palaeography. Thank you for drawing my
> attention to
> it.

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]