________________________________

From: lis-pub-libs: UK Public Libraries
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Fran Devine
Sent: 10 February 2007 09:38
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Dumbing down? 10 years of PLR reveals ...

Dear Elspeth Hyams and LIS-PUB-LIBS,

I don't feel qualified to write a defense of public library buying
policies, but for anyone who wants to tackle the subject, it would be
worth getting a copy of yesterday's (Friday 9th February) Independent.
There's an article quoting Jacqueline Wilson as saying that libraries
don't expose children to enough classical literature (bizarrely
illustrated by a girl reading a picture book in German).  There's also a
leader column in robust defense of libraries and against cuts to library
funding, particularly to the British Library.  So one broadsheet at
least is taking library issues and debates seriously, and library staff
might want to reply to the Independent as well.

Fran Devine
Co-ordinator: Access to Services
Manchester Libraries
Manchester Central Library
St. Peter's Square
Manchester M2 5PD
Telephone: 0161 234 1986
Fax: 0161 236 6230
email: [log in to unmask]
system manager. This footnote also confirms that this email message has
been swept by MIMEsweeper for the presence of computer viruses. Please
contact [log in to unmask] with any queries.