Hello all,

You may remember that last year I highlighted the problems we had with
Pediatrics, in particular their refusal to grant any form of grace
period to subscribers while payments are being sorted out.

This year I was saddened to find that the situation has not improved one
bit.  The American Academy of Pediatrics, who publish this journal
decided to change their pricing model last summer. We informed our
subscription agent in good time that we knew about the changing pricing
model, and confirmed which tier we were on.  We also took the
opportunity to move to e-only.

On the 15th February, we found we could not access current content in
this journal.  On telephoning the publisher (and I have to say, their
customer services department is not the best in the world) we were told
that no record could be located of a University of Leeds subscription.

Now I find that although payment has been sent by our subscription
agent, the EXACT SAME excuse as last year for not processing payment has
been put forward by the publisher.

Our agent has confirmed that payment for the correct rate has been sent
on to the publisher. However they have been unable to process the
payment due to the fact "that they close down all Financial Transactions
for the Months end in order to rebalance their finances, and so
therefore if the cheque is passed to their processing team within this
'closed down period' they are unable to process this".  This means that
they are not accepting credit card payments either, which our agent has
offered to do in order to get access back for us quicker.

They have also advised that once a payment has been processed it can
take a further TWO WEEKS for access to begin as this has to been set up
by a Data Entry Team.  They are unable to set up grace access during
this time even though it is their fault they are unable to process a
payment.

I am extremely frustrated about this, especially since when I
highlighted their financial procedures last year, I was told by the
publisher there would not be a repeat in 2007.

Frankly, it is pathetic, and yet another example of poor practice in the
e-journal world.

Louise

Louise Cole
Electronic Resources Team Leader