Hi All

I am in the process of thinking about setting up an electronic tracking system to enable different staff to track the interventions that students have experienced within the University. Ideally this system needs to do the following:

§         Be flexible to enable different data to be recorded

§         Be accessible by both staff and student

§         Track a student throughout their time at University (and preferably pre-registration/post graduation)

I’ve thought about the following as possible ways to do this:

§         PebblePad (with the student sharing an asset with the relevant staff members)

§         Blog/Wiki in Blackboard or elsewhere where staff can comment on entries/make entries

§         Adapting use of our SITS based student record system (but currently students do not have the same access rights as staff so this might be difficult)

§         Access database on a shared drive (but again issues with staff and students having access to the data)

§         A N Other tool (e.g. using Moodle to bypass pre and post study restrictions on access to institutional system)

Have any of you got an electronic records system and if so what is it and how does it work? Ideally I want staff from a range of areas to be able to access the data (e.g. personal tutor, Learner Development Unit staff, other support staff) as well as the student. And it needs to be capable of recording a reasonable length of text in order to record meaningful information. I’d like to see the tool being used by the student to reflect on their progress and staff can help the student manage any developmental activities. It may also be useful for it to tie in to PDP… (not asking for much am I ;-))

Soooo if you have any words of wisdom or ideas for how this might work I’d love to hear from you!

Best wishes

Becka

Becka Currant

Senior Adviser