From: Spencer W. Thomas [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 22 February 2007 20:34
To: Shib Users List
Subject: JSTOR deploys Shibboleth authentication

Finally!  I can announce that Shibboleth authentication is officially
supported by JSTOR.  We're currently a member of InCommon.  We intend to
join other federations, depending on demand from their members.  Until
that happens, we are happy to discuss bilateral trust agreements with
campuses in other federations.

General audience information is at
http://www.jstor.org/about/technical/shibboleth_auth.html

We are using our own WAYF, which integrates institutions using
Shibboleth and Athens authentication into one interface.  We hope that
this will make the transition from Athens to Shibboleth almost
transparent for users of JSTOR from institutions currently using Athens.

Deep links passing through the WAYF are possible from institutions using
either Shib or Athens.  A user following such a link will bypass
authentication if they are already in a JSTOR session from the
institution initiating the link.  These links look like

http://www.jstor.org/start-session?providerId=provider-uri&target=target-url

For Athens sites, provider-uri is usually the TLD of the institution.

For example, the URL below (folded and NOT %-encoded for readability)
would link an OSU user directly to an article:

http://www.jstor.org/start-session?
    providerId=urn:mace:incommon:osu.edu&

target=http://links.jstor.org/sici?sici=0002-9114%28193104%2F06%2935%3A2%3C2
03%3ABOAB1%3E2.0.CO%3B2-F

Technical questions can go to me, other questions should go to

=Spencer Thomas
Operations Supervisor
JSTOR

Anything in this message which does not clearly relate to the official
work of the sender's organisation shall be understood as neither given
nor endorsed by that organisation.