-----Original Message-----
From: Discussion list for Health Libraries Group HLG members
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Atkinson Judy
Sent: 16 February 2006 18:03
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: LACA call for evidence

Apologies for cross-posting.

LACA (Libraries and Archives Copyright Alliance) is looking for evidence
from the library community to illustrate its submission to the Gowers
review of copyright on the 3 areas below. Evidence from the "coal face"
will be extremely valuable but for reasons of practicality LACA is not
able to acknowledge individual responses:

Specific evidence is needed re different collecting societies or
agencies that libraries deal with concerning transparency, aggressive
behaviour, unreasonable tactics, burdensome statistical reporting,
inefficiency, and unfair demands. We need the name of the society, when
the incident (if it was one) occurred, and name of library (helpful if
we can use name of library - if not we won't but we still need it in
order to get back to them if needed

Digital Rights Management Systems (DRMS) and Technological protection
Measures (TPMs): specific examples of how libraries and users have been
frustrated in using products protected by DRMS and TPMs eg. barriers to
uses allowed by exceptions and limitations including fair dealing and
exceptions for visually impaired, barriers to uses by people with other
disabilities (eg. learning difficulties, dyslexia, hearing difficulties)
barriers to migrating content for digital preservation , and barriers
imposed when DRM or TPM becomes obsolete (important - need to know how
many years before it becomes obsolete) re use with different or upgraded
hardware and software or having to keep old h/ware and s/ware in order
to run product. Naming and shaming of product important here.

Disability exceptions:  specific examples of instances which occurred in
a library of barriers encountered caused by copyright protection not
allowing the creation of accessible copies of the work with regard to
people with disabilities other than visual impairment or inability to
hold a book (which is provided for under visual impairment exception)
eg.  learning difficulties and dyslexia, hearing impairment. Name of
library important here we need it in case we need to get back to them
later but we should be told if we can use the library name - it would be
helpful to do so however.
Obviously at this stage user should be anonymised but we might want to
get back to the library to ask if user would be willing to be a witness
at
later stage esp if a good scenario.

All responses on these three issues should be sent to cdpa-
[log in to unmask] by Friday 24th February. Many thanks for your
support.

http://www.rcn.org.uk

This email is confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual to
whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of
the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Royal College of
Nursing or any of its affiliates.

If you are not the intended recipient be advised that you have received
this email in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing or
copying of this email is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this email in
error please return it to the sender immediately.  The contents of this message
may be legally privileged.

Royal College of Nursing of the United Kingdom
20 Cavendish Square
London   W1G ORN
Registered Charity Number: 276435
Tel: +44 (0) 845 456 3996