Morning all!
With ref to FOI/EIR, it is worth remembering (as I have recently been reminded by Northamptonshire's FOI team), that if an enquiry does not fall within the scope of EIR because it is about historical information, it is still likely to qualify as an FOI enquiry, and should be dealt with as such. I'm seeking further advice about this one.......
Chris

>>> Nick Boldrini 02/02/07 >>>
Following previous discussion on the list about FOI/EIR, we have
recieved the following answer which may be of interest to list members.

Makes things pretty clear, in a muddy sort of way....

best wishes

Nick Boldrini
Historic Environment Record Officer
Heritage Section
Countryside Service
North Yorkshire County Council
County Hall
Northallerton
DL7 8AH
Direct Dial (01609) 532331

Conserving North Yorkshire's heritage - encouraging sustainable access
www.northyorks.gov.uk/archaeology

This email is personal. It is not authorised by or sent on behalf of
North Yorkshire
County Council, however, the Council has the right and does inspect
emails sent from
and to its computer system. This email is the sole responsibility of
the sender

>>> Neil Campling 15/01/2007 16:00:50 >>>
Please read the following discussion by the Office of the Information
Commissioner:-

>>> <[log in to unmask]> 15/01/2007 15:11 >>>
15th January 2007 Case Reference Number ENQ0146925 Dear Mr Campling
Thankyou for your recent enquiry. It is difficult for us yet to give
definitive advice on whether information of certain types falls within
the definition of environmental information. The definitions are broadly
drafted, presumably to cover the many jurisdictions in Europe, and have
received little judicial consideration. It is currently difficult for us
to make judgements of this nature without giving full consideration to
the all the factors surrounding the information and its use, which we
would do only on consideration of a complaint. It is quite likely that a
large part of the information in the Historic Environment Records would
fall within the definition of environmental information. Presumably the
purpose of maintaining these records is to protect historical sites and
buildings. They could then fall within the definition of "information
on measures or activities designed to protect elements of the
environment [including] the landscape" (Regulation 2(1)(c)).  It may
even be simpler than this if it is construed as "information on the
state of the landscape" (Regulation 2(1)(a)).  They may also fall
within the definition of Regulation 2(1)(f) as "the state of cultural
sites and built structures inasmuch as they are or may be affected
through the landscape by activities affecting or likely to affect the
landscape".  Information held in these records that is purely
historical or archaeological is unlikely to be environmental
information. Information that is used for planning decisions or for
reports on the state of the landscape is likely to be. "The majestic,
almost regal, appearance of Rievaulx Abbey looming from the depths of a
narrow river valley." could be construed as environmental information.
"The abbey of Rievaulx was founded in 1132. It was built to be the
first Cistercian outpost in the North, an abbey from which the White
Monks could reform and colonise northern England and Scotland." is
historical information with no environmental element to it, unless the
age of the building is a factor to take into account when assessing
environmental impact. This may well be a point to take further through
the Historic Environment Records Forum to see if there is an agreed view
held by those working in this field. Yours sincerely Graham S SmithFOI
Good Practice Section

The original of this email was scanned for viruses by Government Secure
Intranet (GSi) virus scanning service supplied exclusively by Cable &
Wireless in partnership with MessageLabs.
On leaving the GSI this email was certified virus free.
The MessageLabs Anti Virus Service is the first managed service to
achieve the CSIA Claims Tested Mark (CCTM Certificate Number
2006/04/0007), the UK Government quality mark initiative for information
security products and services. For more information about this please
visit www.cctmark.gov.uk

WARNING

This E-mail and any attachments may contain information that is confidential or privileged, and is intended solely for the use of the named recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, please be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken is prohibited and may be unlawful.

Any opinions expressed are those of the author and not necessarily the view of the Council.

North Yorkshire County Council.

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are intended solely for the use of the individual or organisation to whom they are addressed.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender either by return of e-mail or by ringing the County Council's main switchboard on (0)1604 236236.
The information contained in this e-mail and in your reply may be subject to disclosure under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 or other legislation and its confidentiality cannot be guaranteed.
This e-mail has been checked for the presence of computer viruses.
Northamptonshire County Council.  http://www.northamptonshire.gov.uk