Fascinating!
Why is it certain topics evoke such vigorous and vehement opposition form
certain people. And why is it those “opponents” often are the same people in
each of the different arguments?

e.g.
-Creationism (or simply repudiating Darwinian theory) vs Darwin
-Microsoft vs Open Source software (although the latter proponents usually feel
that another proprietary software company is OK – Apple)

My observations would be that the “opponents” usually have a lot less humour in
their arguments, a lot less balance in their arguments, and usually show no
evidence of really listening to what the other side is saying. The other side
eventually give up trying to discuss the matter, under the sheer weight of
e-mails pouring into their mailboxes. The opponents seem to enjoy the arguments,
and never concede any points to their opponents. And the opponents are usually
male.

Somewhere in the middle will be genuinely interested parties (most females will
be in this group), who will make an occasional comment or question that is
unfortunately swamped in the rapid interchange of e-mails between the
protagonists and their opponents. Some of these “middle” people will helpfully
try to interject some humour to attempt to defuse what can rapidly become a
flame war.

I have absolutely no evidence for any of the above, apart from my own
observations of various mail lists over the years.

I look forward to being shot down in flames…

Laurie Miles