Julian Bradley wrote:
> It would seem highly beneficial to change the regulations so that a
> certificate could be issued following a telephone consultation by a
> practitioner (GP or appropriately qualified deputy, including nurse
> practitioner where the GP considers it appropriate) that:
>
> a) has access to the patient's records;
> b) knows, the patient, specifically by voice, so as to be able to
> reasonably confirm identity.
And would presumably have to confirm these things on the Med 3(T)
> Such a policy would usefully modernize the system, it would avoid
> unnecessary travel and be environmentally friendly, and might well
> appeal to relevant individuals in the civil service and government
> because of their own experiences.
Not sure about the latter bit as their experience seems to be based on
fraudsters aided and abetted by feeble doctors who will sign anything.
Maybe leave that bit out!
> If that is true it might just be such an obviously sensible step as to
> get government support.
Well how about getting someone to propose this to the GPC, BMA or the
LMC conference so they can get it moving. IIRC your local GPC member
must be Eric Rose, Julian, and your LMC sec is Paul Roblin. For all I
know you run your local bit of the BMA.
BW
Fay