Medical Paddington: Pox and Penicillin Sat Feb24

HI all GEM people

Have a look at the following British Interactive Group event.  Please come along if you can make it.
Sent: 23 January 2007 10:56
To: [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]
Subject: [big-chat] BIG South East Social Event

The British Interactive Group (BIG) is an organisation for individuals involved in all aspects of hands-on exhibitions and activities. BIG aims to improve understanding of the potential of hands-on and the role it can play in may contexts, to encourage high professional standards and act as a voice for all people working with interactivity. (Visit our website at www.big.uk.com)

For GEM members in the South East - you are invited to the BIG South East social event:

Medical Paddington : Pox and Penicillin
1.30pm, Saturday 24th February 2007
Meet Lancaster Gate Tube, London

Come and join us as we take a guided walk around historic Paddington. Led by public health physician Dr Barry Walsh and focussing on the work of St Mary's Hospital, we will discover who the real Alexander Fleming was and how his discovery of penicillin changed the lives of millions world wide. We will hear tales of London's more unhealthy past and the different diseases that have gripped the city over the years. Throughout the walk we'll also look at Paddington's architectural influences, starting with Brunel's railway station through to the recently built waterside complex.

To end the walk we'll settle down in a choice Paddington pub to have a catch up and share  ideas.

The walk takes approximately 2 hours and costs £5.50 per person.
Please pay on the day, but please let me know in advance by e mail (
[log in to unmask]) if you will be attending as places are limited.

It is set to be a lively and interesting afternoon and a great opportunity for people from all areas across the South East to get together.

Hope you can make it.
Liz Jeavans

Elizabeth Jeavans
Outreach Officer
The Institute of Physics
76 Portland Place
London W1B 1NT
UK
Tel: 020 7470 4800
Fax: 020 7470 4848
Mobile: 07771 507 713
E-mail:

David Price
Presenter
The Museum of Science and Industry in Manchester
Liverpool road, Castlefield,Manchester,M34FP
0161 6060 156