----- Original Message -----
From: [log in to unmask]>ted lumley
To: [log in to unmask]>'A.D.M.Rayner'
Cc: [log in to unmask]>'Jack Whitehead'
Sent: 08 February 2007 20:13
Subject: RE: Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change

dear alan,

your comments to ‘friends of wisdom’ are very much what we need.   i am reminded of edward r.murrow in the recent film ‘Good Night and Good Luck’, whose comments helped to keep things in balance, when the balance was being tipped towards hysteria and pre-emptive strikes against innocents to avert a communist holocaust, by ‘mccarthyism’.

of course, like the meteorologists that are being threatened with de-certification in the broadcast industy, you too may be (mis-)cast by some as a ‘holocaust-denier’, ... although in this case, the holocaust is a future scenario that ‘the john waynes’ intend to rally the masses to ‘pre-empt’.    ‘listen up son, ... we’ve got to join together to put the train of nature back on its proper tracks before disaster strikes.  if you’re not with us, you’re against us’.

the popular assumption seems to be that man can control the climate by his causal actions, whether unintentionally (by absent-mindedly jacking up greenhouse gas levels) or intentionally (by reducing greenhouse gas levels), and also that there is a ‘good’ (‘normal’) thermal condition for the earth and a ‘bad’ (‘abnormal’) thermal condition; i.e. ‘global warming is bad’.

in the context of man-caused global warming, karl uses the term ‘culpability’; i.e;

‘[those] irresponsible and ignorant crackpots ... [that] will no doubt continue to try to confuse the issue and maintain a state of denial, [in spite of] overwhelming evidence of human culpability for creating the conditions leading to global warming through industrial pollution.’

the use of ‘culpability’ is interesting since it immediately splits the dynamic into two black-and-white parts, and presents us with the scenario of ‘abuser’ (man) and ‘victim’ (earth), ... ‘culpability’ being defined as ‘blameworthiness’, the state of deserving to be blamed for a crime or offence.

two foundational assumptions are ‘built in’ to this notion; (a) there exists a ‘good’ or ‘correct/normal’ thermal condition for the earth, and (b) there is a ‘cause-and-effect’ relationship between man’s thermal-dynamics related activities and the thermal-dynamics of the earthspace we are all included in..

it seems to me that these two ‘absolute existence/behaviour’ based assumptions, in varying forms, are enjoying an unusual surge of popularity on a variety of social fronts; e.g. the ‘war on terror’.  these assumptions imply that there exists a ‘normal’ (‘good’) operating condition for a system (the earth’s climate, the global social dynamic, the functioning of the human body etc.), ... that departures from this ‘normality’ are the work of ‘causal agents’ acting upon the system (these agents are necessarily ‘bad’ in this modeling since they move the system away from its ‘good/normal’ state, and ‘moving away from good’ is equivalent to ‘moving towards bad’).

thus, this model of ‘climate change’ not only  takes on ‘religious’ (‘good’ and ‘evil’) overtones, it recalls newton’s first law of motion wherein ‘the base case’ is ‘stasis’ (a body/system will remain at rest (its ‘normal’ state) unless acted upon by an external force.)

the ‘stasis’ in newton’s first law corresponds to the ‘normal climate’ and the ‘external force’ that causes the departure from ‘normality’ corresponds to the industrial activities of modern man.

what’s wrong with this model?   (why not ask since many would mobilize all of humanity in a grand ‘pre-emptive’ strike to eliminate the causal agencies that are moving our climate from ‘good’ towards ‘bad’)

one thing that’s wrong is that ‘stasis’ and ‘normality’ go hand-in-hand with the notions of ‘causality’ and ‘culpability’

when we were boys climbing around in the mountainous outback of british columbia, we would find large rocks in the condition of ‘stasis’ on steep scree slopes and push them down the slope causing mini-landslides dislodging further rocks the size of our bodies that rolled furiously and noisily down the mountain splitting and shattering and knocking into the odd lone tree with a sickening ‘thunk’ that spoke of a force that would have crushed and killed any human in its path.

our egos inflated with the massive power of this ability to cause such humongous departures from stasis/normality, ... and though the notion of ‘cause’ and ‘stasis’ over-simplify what went on, this did not stop the feeling of power that accrued to us, individually and collectively.

if we were to have examined these dynamics more closely, we would have had to concede that (a) there is no ‘stasis’ in nature, only conditions of dynamical balance since everything is in motion, and; (b) we did not ‘cause’ landslides, we ‘triggered’ them by raising the accrued tensions amongst the rocks on the slope beyond a ‘holding’ threshold where there was an explosive release of their mutually accrued potential energy.

the dynamics of the nature-space we all share inclusion in is innately dynamical balance-seeking, and what we typically term ‘cause’ is more realistically seen in terms of disturbing the dynamical balance, unleashing stored energies which move things towards a new dynamical balancing.

the rock-throwing boy that causes a huge flock of birds to take to flight and fill the local skies may feel his ego inflate by the massive transformative power of his act, ... though he was not the ‘cause’ of what was unleashed, but merely the triggering agent that dislodged the dynamical spatial-relational configuration from its tensioned condition of dynamical balance and setting it off on a quest to find a new dynamical balancing configuration.

i.e. what we commonly think of as ‘stasis’ or ‘normality’ is instead a condition of dynamical balance that is ‘under tension’.  the tensions can be raised above a threshold where the current dynamical balance (which looks like ‘stasis’ since we cannot ‘see’ the tensions) can no longer be sustained and the potential energy stored elastically in the tensions is explosively converted into kinetic energy invested in material bodies that moves towards a new dynamical balance.

we intuitively know that we make this same over-simplification (stasis/normality, causality) in the case of the global social dynamic.  ‘criminal acts’ and ‘terrorist acts’ are not simply ‘causal acts’ that move the system ‘away from normality’ but instead result from the building of tensions that reach thresholds beyond which the energies stored in those tensions is explosively released.   rather than criminal acts and terrorist acts being ‘causal’ and ‘disturbing the stasis/normality’ as is the simplistic scenario in newton’s laws of motion, the so-called ‘causal agents’, rather than being sovereign agents with internally driven behaviours, are included participants within the tensioned, dynamical-balance-seeking hostspace.

insofar as one applies the base case of ‘normality’ to the social dynamic and ‘causality’ to ‘departures from normality, ... one interprets the ‘corrective response’ to be the ‘elimination of the cause of the departure from normality.

that is the ‘linear theory’ view where ‘normality’ is the base case to which the system is assumed to return once the agencies ‘causing’ departures from ‘normality’ are eliminated.

in the ‘nonlinear theory’, everything is in relative flux and ‘normality’ and ‘stasis’ are seen in the more comprehensive terms of ‘dynamical balancing infused with potential-energy tensions’.  ‘causality’ for which a sovereign causal agent is fully ‘to blame’, is subsumed by ‘triggering’ that disturbs the dynamical balance by elevating the tensions in the system beyond the threshold of their dynamical balancing sustainability.so that the system ‘takes its accrued potential energy out of storage and uses it for kinetic mobility’ as it moves on in quest of some new dynamical balancing configuration.

sure, we can say that ‘throwing stones’ CAUSES the flock of birds to take flight but we cannot say that when we stop throwing stones (when we eliminate the causal agent) that the birds will come back, ... that ‘normality will be restored to the system condition’, ... because the system will have gone off in quest of a new dynamical balance. (it is not simply screwed up in the manner of a machine that someone threw a wrench into its works, which, when the wrench is removed, will return to ‘normal’ working mode).

we can ‘cause’ the cream to be stirred into the coffee, ... but eliminating the causal agency does not equate to restoring the situation to its former ‘normal’ state (i.e. the new dynamical equilibrium cannot be understood to be ‘a departure from the normal condition’.  there is no ‘normal’ in nature.  the notion of a ‘normal condition’ is an absolutism imposed by man’s rationally abstracting mind).

nature has a complexity that has exposed the inadequacy of linear dynamics theory and invited the development of nonlinear dynamical theory and nothing could be more deserving of inquiry by means of nonlinear dynamical theory than ‘climate’, but that is clearly not ‘the popular choice’ in our present era where the notions of ‘normal’ and ‘abnormal’ and the search for culpable ‘causal agents’ responsible for moving things away from ‘normal’ towards ‘abnormal’ is going on with a passion reminiscent of our witch-hunting, witch-burning days.

understanding by way of linear/causal theory and ‘departures from stasis/normality’ yields an over-simplified view of natural phenomena that often leads to radical gaps between the linear-causal-theory predicted dynamic and the actual dynamic (as the ‘butterfly effect’ connotes, the limiting of predictive accuracy is unavoidable); e.g. as Lorenz (MIT) showed, in the nonlinear dynamics of weather (short term variations in the ‘stasis’, or better, ‘stability’ of atmospheric dynamics relative to longer term ‘climatic’ dynamics), predicted behaviours may diverge with respect to actual NOT ONLY in magnitude, but also in ‘direction’ (e.g. while a warming trend may be predicted, ... the prediction may diverge from actual due to an effect too small to be measured, and the actual resulat may be a ‘cooling’.   Lorenz illustrated this by building his ‘Lorenz water-wheel’ to demonstrate this deviant characteristic of nonlinear dynamics.  A simulation of this nonlinear dynamical or ‘complex systems’ effect can be seen at http://people.web.psi.ch/gassmann/waterwheel/WaterwheelLab.html   Click on ‘run the waterwheel’. http://people.web.psi.ch/gassmann/waterwheel/Wwheel1.HTML

but this is very ‘technical-subtle’ and the notions of ‘normality’ and ‘good’ and ‘bad’ and causal agents (ourselves) that it is popular to purport are taking us from ‘good’ to ‘bad’ have a far more powerful effect on the emotions/mood of the general public.

karl’s proposition is that ‘we are causing a departure from the ‘good’ and ‘normal’ thermal condition of the earth.   this envisions the earth’s climate as putty in the causal hands of man, the uncertainty being in man’s not knowing exactly what shape he is kneading the putty into (a very different envisioning than man triggering a debalancing and pursuit of a new dynamical balancing configuration of nature’s dynamics).

 “While we cannot predict the consequences of our industrial practices, it is evident that we are causing irreversible and unpredictable climate change, and the melting of polar icecaps and glaciers, increasing the intensity of storms and incidents of flooding, eroding coastlines, and threatening both the future of humanity and the environments upon which many other complex animals and plants depend and are an intricate part. We are causing global warming in the sense that the pollutants that have been artificially pumped into the atmosphere by our factories, transport, and power stations have caused an average rise in average climate temperature.”

the simple linear model, implicit in karl and nicks comments, further suggests that if man has the causal power to push the earth’s climate away from its ‘condition of normality’, then man must also have the causal power to push the earth’s climate back towards its original ‘condition of normality’ (to cause the system to go from ‘bad’ back towards ‘good’) and it is this mission that people are being vigorously  rallied to give support to.

those of us being labelled ‘holocaust deniers’, ignorant, crackpots, and ‘insane’, meanwhile, believe that this vision of us being able to cause massive change in the world (rather than having the capability of simply triggering movement towards new forms of spatial-relational dynamical balance) is the root source of the ‘destabilization’ that we are perceiving in terms of ‘rising abnormality’.

if we see ‘terrorists’ as ‘the cause of terrorism’ (departure from the ‘good’ condition of ‘normality’ in our social dynamic) AND NOT AS TRIGGERING AGENTS OF DEBALANCING IN A HIGHLY TENSIONED DYNAMICAL HOSTSPACE, ... and if we seek simply to ‘return the system to ‘goodness’ and ‘normality’ by eliminating the causal actions of the agents of terror, ... then we shall continue to ignore the fact that our ‘normality’ is a highly tensioned ‘dynamical balancing’ that ‘naturally’ has to be allowed to ‘move on’ and find a less tensioned condition of dynamical balancing.

similarly, if we see ‘man’ as ‘the cause of global warming’ (departure from the ‘good’ condition of ‘normality’ in our climate dynamic) AND NOT AS TRIGGERING AGENTS OF DEBALANCING IN A HIGHLY TENSIONED DYNAMICAL HOSTSPACE, ... and if we seek simply to ‘return the system to ‘goodness’ and ‘normality’ by eliminating the causal actions of man, the agents of climate change, ... then we shall continue to ignore the fact that our ‘climatic normality’ is a highly tensioned ‘dynamical balancing that has to be allowed to ‘move on’ and find a less tensioned condition of dynamical balancing.

that’s ‘the way of nature’.  nature does not have a ‘base condition’ of ‘normality’.  it is continually in a dynamical-balance-seeking quest, ... trying to ‘rid itself of rising tensions’, to dissipate them prior to them becoming too extreme.

man is meanwhile stressing himself with tensions of his own as he seeks to control his environment, rather than moving (sailboat style rather than powerboat style) on a continuing basis, in pursuit of relatively less tensioned dynamical balancing within the dynamical hostspace he is situationally included in.

karl and nick’s statements reflect today’s popular founding of understanding on the notions of ‘normality’ and ‘abnormality’ (‘good’ and ‘evil’) and ‘causality’ (e.g. the ability of a sovereign being with internally driven behaviour to push the social or climate dynamic away from ‘normality/goodness’ in the direction of ‘abnormality/badness’ and question the ‘intelligence’, ‘sanity’ and/or ‘motives’ of anyone who disagrees).

in this view, man (the boy throwing rocks to set the geese in flight) is seen as having the causal powers of creating a climatic holocaust (where all of the birds would disappear along with the golden eggs we are dependent on).   the corollary to this linear view is that we must mobilize an army to launch a pre-emptive strike to avert the holocaust we are causing (i.e. the reasoning goes; by reducing the number of rocks we are throwing, at least some of the birds will start coming back to their ‘normal’ behavioural patterns, .. though anyone who has dispersed a covey of quail by snapping a small twig underfoot may question the applicability of this linear modeling.).

 * * *

ah well, you may ignore all of the above as the babblings of one who is by popular implication; ‘ignorant’, ‘crackpot’, ‘insane’, and ‘apologist for unfettered greed’.

meanwhile, if our egos suffer too severely from being belittled and demonized, we can join ‘em rather than be beaten by ‘em, rejuvenating the puniness of our egos by a hike into the mountains where we can re-demonstrate to ourselves ‘our causal powers over nature’ by setting flocks of birds to flight and rolling large rocks down into the valley while pounding our chests amid the thundering din of the avalanches that ‘we have caused’.

resonantly,

ted