Hi Crispin

There isn’t any work currently scheduled on bringing these together. DoB will at some point be subsumed by the thesaurus of Monument type (TMT) but we won’t be adding Aircraft types in as they are deemed to be separate concepts. At the moment if your recording Aircraft crash sites then the monument type is AIRCRAFT or WRECK if it’s underwater (I suppose we should add CRASH SITE as a monument type.). AIRCRAFT TYPE is used to classify the wreckage as it were.

We wouldn’t amalgamate them as MARITIME CRAFT and indeed OBJECT used to be part of the TMT but were taken out way back when as they didn’t fit the concept of what a monument was.

Also to include terms like SPITFIRE in the TMT would open a rather nasty precedent that would allow users to submit STONEHENGE or BUCKINGHAM PALACE as a monument type.

Phil

Phil Carlisle

Data Standards Supervisor

English Heritage

National Monuments Record Centre

Kemble Drive

Swindon

SN2 2GZ

+44 (0)1793 414824

http://thesaurus.english-heritage.org.uk/

The information contained within this e-mail is confidential and may be privileged. It is intended for the addressee only. If you have received the e-mail in error, please inform the sender and delete it from your system. The contents of this e-mail must not be disclosed to anyone else or copied without the sender's consent.

Any views and opinions expressed in this message are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of English Heritage. English Heritage will not take any responsibility for the views of the author.