Hi Embodiment List,
I'm a new member and wanted to take the opportunity to introduce myself and my research interests. I work primarily in lens-based arts, as a theorist and practitioner, and have a special interest in arts and science collaborations in the bio-medical domain. My PhD focused on the anatomical theatre as a physical and metaphysical space in which biological science, epistemology and art may create challenging discourses around representations of the body, with particular regard to the Cartesian body and the dualistic nature of bio-medical practice and research. I was recently (2005-6) the AHRC Sciart Research Fellow at Cardiff School of Biosciences where I worked with neurological researchers, investigating the plasticity of the mind in relation to neurodegenerative diseases like Alzheimer's. My interest is in the relationship of mind to self, body to self, and what happens when we loose that self (and how do we define that self in the first instance). I'm also interested in the theatrical/performative aspects of the body and its spaces and I am working with cultural theorists (such as Dr. Maaike Bleeker) and curators in Amsterdam, where the perfomativity of the anatomical theatre and the dead body is very much an area of ongoing concern and innovation in terms of practice-based research. You can check out more on this area by going to www.sihe.ac.uk/anatomy.htm I'm interested in any conferences, workshops, events etc. that may be happening in this area and that the list knows about, and I'm also in the process of trying to secure funding to establish a sciart research network here in Wales to faciliate research in this, and associated areas.
Looking forward to hearing more from the list in future.
Best wishes,
Karen
Dr. Karen Ingham,
Sciart Research Facilitator,
Dynevor School of Art, Design and Media,
Swansea Institute