I'm not sure that I follow what is causing the problem here, but here are some general points that might suggest a solution.  TFT screens have a native resolution, e.g. 1280 x 800.  While other settings can be displayed, in effect the screen is emulating those displays, it is not really altering pixel numbers.  The setting needs to be changed when the software used demands another resolution for display, e.g., 800 x 600.  Unfortunately, other than native displays can produce blurry images or ghosting.  The physical size of the monitor won't make a difference to this problem except by coincidence (different monitors have different native resolutions).

The usual way round this is not to replace monitors but alter the software display properties to match the monitor.  After all, software designers expect to sell to a universal market and usually include simple commands to allow the display to be changed.  If the user doesn't have access to these commands (or they need to be scripted), the problem should be discussed with the system admin, who can create individual settings for each user.

It is possible that the user has a very old monitor displaying at 800 x 600 or some equally small figure.  In that case, it will be hopelessly inadequate for any modern software, including XP and IE6+.  Just buy a new monitor; there is no other solution if the user is expected to run contemporary software.  Arguments about budget limits are irrelevant: the employer is simply not providing the needed tools to allow the employee to work.

In either case, I would expect the problem to lie with a conflict between hardware and software, not with the user.  Even if I have completely misunderstood the problem, I would still recommend that it is discussed with a sysadmin.  That way, the cause might be clearly identified, even if a solution remains obscure.

Regards, Bernard

Bernard Doherty
Assessor
Cambridge Access Centre

"Davies, Sian" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Hi All,
I have received this email from a member of staff at a college and I was just wondering does any have advice or thoughts they could share with me?
The issue is around a vdu screen, we have just had updates of software that we use and due to the fact that the person’s screen isn’t big enough to take the software the numbers of pixels have had to be reduced, this not only effects the updates but all the software packages on the computer, they have spoken to their line manager who said they can’t have a bigger screen and should get glasses, the person already wears glasses and doesn’t see why they should get a stronger prescription.
So, after all that is there a minimum number of pixels that can be used?

Thanks
Sian

Sian Davies
Disability Equality Organiser
UCU & UNISON
020 7551 1511
****************************************************************    UNISON is fighting to defend pensions. UNISON   members in local government, education, the   police service, probation, the Environment Agency,  passenger transport, private companies and   utilities are faced with cuts to their pension rights.   Support our campaign.    Find out more at www.unison.org.uk/pensions or call 0845 355 0845    ****************************************************************  This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential  and solely for the use of the
 intended recipient. If you  have received this email in error please notify the sender  or [log in to unmask]    The views expressed in this email are those of the sender  and not necessarily the views of UNISON.    UNISON has taken steps to ensure that any attachments are free  from viruses. You should, however, carry out your own virus  check before opening any attachment. UNISON accepts no  liability for loss or damage caused by software viruses.  ****************************************************************

All New Yahoo! Mail – Tired of unwanted email come-ons? Let our SpamGuard protect you.