Hi Louise,
I don't know of any students who are successfully using alternative means of written communication on placement other than handwriting information in settings that use handwritten communication. I will ask others and get back to you if I come up with anything.

But...
In many clinical sites (placements) in the US, students document information via computers...without having to demonstrate handwriting.

As far as spelling, would a Franklin medical speller help?
http://www.dyslexic.com/franklin

As an example of nurses working with or without this disability in the USA...often, nurses who work doing telephonic case management or poison control center/ call center work use computers (not handwritten communication) to document nursing interventions/teaching/etc.

Donna Maheady
www.ExceptionalNurse.com

Donna Maheady, Ed.D., ARNP
(561) 627-9872
(561) 776-9254 (Fax)
(561) 776-9442 (TTY)
Founder and Presidentwww.ExceptionalNurse.com
Donations accepted with "Exceptional" thanks!
Author of Nursing Students with Disabilities Change the Course, winner of the AJN 2004 Book of the Year Award, available at www.eplibrary.com and Leave No Nurse Behind: Nurses Working with disAbilities available at www.iuniverse.com.