Forgive me if anything has been said about this already (which I have missed) but I have just come across a revised Data Protection policy from the Association of Chief Police Officers (ACPO) dated October 2006.

It introduces a new form for police to use to request personal data from data controllers under Section 29 of the DPA and says that this form has been developed in conjunction with the Information Commissioner.

The whole of the new policy can be found at:

http://www.acpo.police.uk/asp/policies/Data/ACPODPMoGV1.06.pdf

and the form is introduced on page 58. It is a much longer form than the old single page one and includes a section requiring a response from the relevant data controller.

John Hitches
General Administrative Manager
Kingston University

Security System.