OK, Tim, this might be your definition.

That has not been my experience - clearly everyone has the right to ignore
such approaches. I have rarely had a complaint from someone working from a
company that I have written to in this way - either for employment,
consultancy work or selling to local authorities or the NHS.

Writing to companies with a cv is an unsolicited application. I have had
quite a number of invitations for interviews based on such approaches. This
might be addressed to the named individual in a company which is announcing
a new development which I feel that I might be able to work on.

I have set up quite a few demos with local authorities - I have never had a
complaint. They are people responsible for the area of work for which the
software is intended. They will refer me to a better contact if they know
one.

I might add that in the latter (marketing) case they rarely obtain responses
straight from emails - I wouldn't expect it - this is an introduction - I
then follow this up with a phonecall.

Another example. The local Chamber of Commerce has a directory which is
searchable on its website. This has names, addresses, phone numbers and
(mostly) email addresses. Writing by email to people who might be interested
in my services - or might be able to recommend to their clients hardly seems
a crime.

It is worth pointing out that I am not on a permanent salary and therefore I
don't have the luxury of receiving a monthly pay cheque.

Nick Landau