Badiou among the geographers To whom it almost certainly does not concern.

Thank you to everyone who has re-advertised my call for papers, which I have gratuitously reproduced below.

Meanwhile, suffice to say—although this is completely irrelevant—that since I have an insatiable appetite for fashion, which even includes a fondness for red rags, I’ll gladly be your mirror. (The badly attired are especially encouraged to offer a paper.)

Marcus

***

Second (sic) Call for papers:

RGS/IBG Annual Conference, 28-31 August 2007

Session title: Alain Badiou and Human Geography

Convenor: Marcus A. Doel, Swansea University, UK  <[log in to unmask]>

Sponsored by: Social & Cultural Geography Research Group

Session abstract: Our collective engagement with French theorists has transformed Human Geography, and our research would be impoverished without the benefit of encountering the ideas of Louis Althusser, Jean Baudrillard, Michel Callon, Hélène Cixous, Manuel Castells, Michel de Certeau, Gilles Deleuze, Jacques Derrida, Michel Foucault, Luce Irigaray, Julia Kristeva, Jacques Lacan, Bruno Latour, and Henri Lefebvre, amongst others. This session will consider the potential for Human Geography of Alain Badiou, who is reputedly one of the most insightful, original, and radical thinkers in France today; not least because of his singular re-articulation of philosophy and mathematics, inflected by politics and psychoanalysis, which poses a profound challenge to the forms of poststructualism, actor-network theory, and non-representational theory that many human geographers have recently made their own. As so many theoretical trajectories within the discipline converge on the notion of multiplicity—frequently under the aegis of association, difference, flow, heterogeneity, and network—, one of the most significant advances that Badiou might offer us is a rigorous and explosive account of the multiple, the subject, and the event. The session will introduce Badiou’s thought and assess its potential for advancing research agendas in human geography. Offers of papers are welcomed from enthusiasts, critics, and sceptics.

If you would like to offer a paper, please let me know by English love day: 14 February 2007. The gist of a title and an abstract would be helpful, but an early expression of interest will suffice.

Marcus Doel

--

Professor Marcus A Doel
Director of Research and Professor of Human Geography

Tel 0 11 44 (0)1792 513090

Email: [log in to unmask]