Australians reading French theorists!!! snigger snigger,

Well listen up, mate. We do not talk like we have escaped from BBC1, and we
might add an unnecessary expletive to the odd sentence,
but some of us take political theory pretty seriously.

Are you suggesting that the geographical distance between China (Mao),
Paris (Althusser, Badiou), London and Melbourne makes some difference to
our capacity to comprehend?

We also have a distinctive political culture.
In fact, the Communist Party of Australia (Marxist-Leninist) has had an
extraordinary influence on Australia's political history.
Its activities have always been clandestine:
Rule No. 1 : never show you hand.
Rule No. 2 : do your political work were you are and where you skills can
make the most impact .. (ie this is an issue of labour productivity)
Rule No 3:  serve the people (interpreted as the ends do not justify the means)
(not necessarily in that order)

For academics that means not wasting 30 years of training running around
building barricades - leave that to the undergrads.
It means not working out of context, as in academics taking over
local-level community action groups to enhance their CVs
It means working systematically to expose the distortions of the
think-tanks and their supporters, using the tools of analysis that we have
been lucky enough to develop.

Think it through!

Sally Weller

09:06 PM 7/02/2007, you wrote:
>I've heard that Australian translations of French social theory are
>absolutely THE latest thing...!

>;)

Dr. Sally Weller
Economic Geography
School of Anthropology, Geography and Environmental Studies
221 Bouverie Street
University of Melbourne
Parkville VIC 3010
AUSTRALIA