Jim \ Chris

I'm afraid I can't support your positions. Rather, I think that your
statements precisely support my contention that climate change is the cipher
through which many seek the vindication of their own ideological positions.

Chris, you accept a priori the idea of modernity\capitalism\industrial
society as a total system, authenticity is located outside that totality
(presumably you are going to run into some difficulties, a la Debord,
exactly where the totality ends and authenticity begins) and anything other
than authentic opposition to the totality acts as a recuperative mechanism
to domesticate the challenge to the totality. I take it therefore that from
your position anything other than a commitment to some kind of primitivist
revolution is recuperation - ergo there's no point talking mitigation
strategies, they are themselves part of the totality. There is surely a
conceptual flaw in your logic however. If the 'apolitical' climate change
groups serve to recuperate any challenge to the system so it can carry on
functioning with business as usual then the system is bound to collapse due
to climate change inaugurating the dispensation of its other - authentic
primitivist experience. Doesn't your logic imply that climate change is not
the problem, it is the solution? I'm interested also in how you define
"apolitical" - I'm involved in various climate change groups from the
mainstream to the fringe - all are engaged in the sphere conventionally
known as the political. Given that 'the political' is a sphere defined
within and by modernity wouldn't it in fact be the case that your enemy is
politics and for your opposition, to be authentic, would have to be
apolitical (I expect you've read Zerzan and the Fifth Estate lot- this is
where they end up).

Jim, what you describe is simply a late modern variant of the teleological
understanding of history, where you place 'consciousness' or 'values' in the
position previously occupied by God. That SoW's 'Principles' makes reference
to St Paul's Letter to the Corinthians supports the obvious suspicion that
you believe in Providence. In my understanding 'providence' is the
domestication of the great Semitic apocalyptic narrative, conducted by the
early Church in order to contain the threat to the political and social
order posed by the apocalyptic by inaugerating the endless deferral of
history. (Chris, I'd argue this is the origin of your totality and
authenticity too).

Whilst I suspect we share a set of personal ethics I think what you propose
regarding climate change and history is extremely dangerous. Firstly, unless
this is just a slip of tense you imply climate change is both somehow
pre-ordained and the necessary precursor of some cultural and ontological
transformation. This is a conventional trope - seen in as various historical
phenomena as Europeans gleefully welcoming the onset of the First World War
for its transformational potential, Christians welcoming all manner of
plague, wild weather and disaster as the onset of the end times, arguably
even a vulgar Marxist notion of the necessity of violent revolution. I'm not
implying you support any of these things merely that this is well worn
historical ground and that this form of thought militates against genuine
praxis (the crisis is required for transformation - as transformation is the
essence of history the crisis is predetermined by the movement of history
itself) and subordinates genuine analysis of events to an a priori
framework.

You say in one breath outcomes will escape our plans and change will not be
predicted by our ideologies (I couldn't agree more) whilst in another your
belief that the outcome will be a transformation of 'consciousness' and that
change follows some cosmic 500 year cycle (why the Renaissance, why not the
Enlightment? why Europe not China?) Do you really want to deny the
magisterial contingency of history with a new age version of Albrecht of
Fiore? Its all been done so many times before I'm afraid.

You seem to confuse the unknowability of the future with the possibility of
rationally planning outcomes. I can plan to go to work but I might get run
over by a bus on the way there. The fact that I might get run over by a bus
doesn't mean that I can't plan to go to work, it simply means that the world
imposes unforeseen limits upon my plans. Furthermore if I don't plan to go
to work, in the sense of getting up, getting dressed, catching the bus I
won't get to work.

How can it be 'not useful' to identify a group for sharing neoliberal
discourse if my question is 'How should we approach the critique of
neoliberalism within the context of the constraint of the time frame needed
to impact climate change?'

SoW's website states:

"As to no amount of technique, strategy, change in political structure or
reasoning achieving anything without deep and loving caring..."

"No political or economic strategies and 'solutions' will have any effect
unless they are founded on caring and compassion. We need to celebrate and
cherish our World's beauty, diversity and radiance."

These statements are at best tautologies surely - 'achieving world wide
compassion can only be achieved with compassion'. I think SoW's position is
a version of "There will be no resurrection for those who don't believe in
the resurrection" (to go back to St Paul). Look at that second statement
again - no effect without a foundation on caring and compassion. The
greatest drop in greenhouse gas emissions achieved over the last twenty
years was caused by the industrial collapse of the Soviet Union - where's
the compassion there?  I don't mean to be offensive, I share the desire for
a culture that values compassion - I just don't think that desire equates to
a necessity. We need mitigation strategies fast and my point is we need to
transcend our ideological preconceptions, not use climate change as a
vehicle for them.

I share your value on compassion, beauty and diversity - however I do not
share your belief that your notion of personal redemption can be writ large
onto the historical drama of climate change, nor that climate change is a
predetermined narrative element in a redemptive history.

It is all too easy to see climate change as the vindication of a world view
in which an alienated humanity gets either its just deserts, or the
redemptive possibility of transformation to authentic being. It is all too
easy to subordinate the difficult task of thinking how to approach the
crisis to one's own ideological or religious preconceptions as to what to
oppose, how to behave. The atmosphere knows neither compassion nor
capitalism, only physics and chemistry.

best regards,

Dan