On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 16:26:26 -0000, Wright, Steve [log in to unmask]
wrote:

>I thought we'd bottomed this correspondence a while ago but alas
>scientists do not confine their activities to the ivory towers of
>academe. Quite a few, indeed a great number have sought the dubious joy
>of working for the military-police industrial complex...a nice little
>earner and hang the  ethical considerations.
>
>I remember when we first started the debate on the forum as either a
>platform for change or social astronomy, I was deeply concerned that the
>climate change issue would fail to be resolved politically or indeed
>environmentally and that the military would field test all sorts of area
>denial and perimeter exclsuion technologies against those attempting to
>migrate across borders because of climate change.
>
>Curiously this debate re ignited just days before Pentcho's email
>arrived..the pentagon announced they field tested their new ray gun on
>over 10,000 volunteers:
>

> http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/6300985.stm
>
>http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,11069-2565312,00.html
>
>Most of the independent comment workldwide came from the Yorkshire based
>Threshold group which was set up to ask searching technical questions
>about the assertions made by scientists and military personnel that the
>technology was quite safe. Here is a role for scientific expertise. We
>don't need to be white collar mecenaries, we can call to account and for
>me, increasingly that is what our forum is orienating itself to do.
>Let's co-operate in challenge but reflect for a moment in the hope of
>wisdom in choosing the most legitimate targets to focus our dissent.
>
>Steve Wright

If, as I believe, rationality in science has been replaced by worshipping
miracles and their creators, not too many people would be successful in
following your advice: "Let's co-operate in challenge but reflect for a
moment in the hope of wisdom in choosing the most legitimate targets to
focus our dissent." Restoring rationality is the only task scientists
should set themselves. Causa perduta perhaps but scientists have no other
choice.

Pentcho Valev