From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Daniel J Welch
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Thursday, February 22, 2007 4:38 PM
Subject: Re: [Fwd: The Carbon Neutral Myth - Offset, Indulgences for your Climate Sins]]

Ian & all,

The Converging World project looks to me to be fully on the right track, this is surely the way forward.

Some thoughts:

Is the language of 'offsets' and 'carbon neutral' now so compromised that we should be trying to move beyond it, or using new initiatives such as your own to call into question the validity of these terms?
Certainly the recent and growing body of literature on the offset business is damning. Can we develop some new terminology which captures media and public attention as well as "carbon offset" and "carbon neutral"? The press is full of articles at the moment about offsetting and almost always these make reference from the controversy around offsetting, the dubious marketing claims and so on. [log in to unmask]>The time is ripe to push the debate on.

People may have seen this report yesterday about Rising Tide activists occupying the offices of the CarbonNeutral company:

This highlights the outrageous fact that, as Kevin Smith documents, the CarbonNeutral company functions as the secretariat to the the All-Party Parliamentary Group on Climate Change, which works 'closely with businesses to develop policy options that will more fully intgrate government and business in tackling climate change' - a profit making company that has been censured by the Advertising Standards Authority for its misleading claims.

I note CarbonNeutral brnads itself
" a carbon management company, not a carbon offsetting company."

It strikes me the key problem is that the success of offsetting  is because the idea and language are so simple (deceptively so). "Carbon Neutral" functions as a kite mark which is readily achieved by a company and understood by consumers. How might a Converging World type project achieve the same?

A strong part of the appeal of offsetting is the (apparent) quantifiability - consumers are provided with a set amount of donation for a set activity. Similar successes in marketing donations are the 'buy a goat' style donations. Not onlt does it give the doner the sense of something tangible it quickly resolves the decision of how much to donate - and hestitation can often lead to a donation going back onto the bottom of a 'good intentions' list. Perhaps therefore this element of offsetting does need to be salvaged, but expressed in a different way to the idea of 'neutralising emissions'.

Regarding 'retiring' emissions credits - when in a project such as TCW where working with a partner project that is sustainable and the additionality of the credits can be demonstrated this seems to me an elegant way to provide consumers \ businesses with a product.

Two other sources that allow consumers to retire ETS credits are  - Ebico's Equiclimate scheme allows you to offset gas use against retired credits, the Science Museum is selling educational packs containing retired credits with options to buy more. These credits are purchased from the ETS thus raising the problem of the issue of additionality at source. From what I have read we can have little faith in verification of projects producing credits with the ETS - Kevin Smith has pointed me towards the serious problems with the Kuyasa project, the first Africa project ertified by the CDM executive board and first certified under the CDM Goldstandard http://www.thecornerhouse.org.uk/summary.shtml?x=397683

On a lighter note, check out the very funny www.cheatneutral.com

Oh and on the zeitgiest front:

The New Oxford American Dictionary's Word of the Year for 2006 is (drum roll please) Carbon Neutral.

best regards,

Dan