(Apologies for cross posting)

Compass: Film International would like to announce a 'call for ideas' for this year's Compass
International Film Festival, to be held in November 2007 (core weekend 2nd-4th at Arnolfini),
Bristol, UK. The organisation was established in 2006 with the aim of providing greater access to
under-represented areas of international visual culture for a wider audience and to encourage a
vibrant and lively debate around film through exhibition and festival events.

The first Compass festival - The Compass of Horror - was launched in October in Bristol, UK. With
the support of our Swedish counterparts, Film International, who act as the main intellectual
resource for the Compass festivals, the event proved a great success (further information about
the 2006 event can be found at www.compass-film.co.uk, and photographs of the festival on
www.filmint.nu).

The structural concept for the festival revolves around the 'compass' idea. Each year, we will
provide a themed programme of events, using the cultural angle of the compass points to provoke
international enquiry into varying cinematic genres. Just as 2006 focused on the genre of horror,
presenting films and speakers from Nigeria, Canada, England and Japan as the cultural regions on
the compass axis, we aim for 2007's festival – 'The Compass of Resistance' – to represent films
from four regions of the world that in various ways provoke and challenge 'the establishment'.
Compass hopes that the festival this year will offer a diverse range of international cinema that
reacts against the status quo; whether that be political, sexual, racial, avant-garde or opposition
to film conventions themselves.

We welcome all ideas concerning international films, filmmakers and debates that may fit within
this theme of 'cinema against the grain'. Please send your ideas for festival contributions either
directly to the Compass organisers Sam King and Tara Sachdeva at [log in to unmask] or to
the team at Film International.

Final programming decisions will take place in late spring (date to be announced).

We look forward to hearing your suggestions,
Best Wishes

The team of Compass: Film International