From: The UK Community Psychology Discussion List on behalf of Deborah Chinn
Sent: Wed 21/02/2007 21:09
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: FW: Regeneration Management Workshop

Thanks for this Paul.  I am involved in an NRF project so the workshop would be very helpful to get me to think about how we evaluate what we are doing.  I think I posted about this project a few months ago when we were just getting started.  The original scope of the project was very broad, and so probably nearly impossible to evaluate - promoting wellbeing and positive mental health in a deprived area in Tower Hamlets in East London.  We have narrowed it down to look at what primary health workers can do to support emotional and psychological wellbeing among service users that they work with.  We've been having some focus groups with health workers, and will be having meetings with groups of service users, from Somali elders to Bangladeshi people with physical disabilities to white mothers who attend playgroups with their toddlers.  I'll keep you posted.

On a different topic - I'm still feeling very depressed after reading the reports about the UNICEF report about children in the UK and how badly they do on quality of life measures compared to kids in other industrialised countries.  Just made me wonder how much our culture hates children.  Surely scope for community psychology to address some of these issues.  Those on the list who attended the BPS day a few weeks ago on Promoting Mental Health in Communities will remember Serdar Degirmencioglu's very inspiring presentation about facilitating young people's agency to support them to address their worries and concerns.  Seems to me that our culture is about undermining and denigrating young people's agency.  These are the sort of issues that prey more and more on my mind; I live in Stockwell in South London which keeps getting into the news for all the wrong reasons, most recently a 15 year old boy was shot in the estate about 500 yards from my house (one of my best friend's nephew was knifed to death in similar circumstances).  Plus my elder son is about to leave his cosy little primary school for the big bad world of a South London comprehensive.  My friend and neighbour Katrina says that it is good that finally policy makers will have to recognise what local people have known for ages, that this is a pretty desperate place for young people to grow up, unless they have a plenty of economic, social and cultural capital to fall back on.  We're going to get involved again in the local playground project which has been trying to get more support for youth groups.

I could probably witter on like this for ages, but would like to hear if any of these issues provoke some resonances in list members.

Deborah