From: The UK Community Psychology Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of Henry Whitfield
Sent: 26 January 2007 14:39
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [COMMUNITYPSYCHUK] A new one year counselling training and accreditation programme offered in London during 2007

Dear People,

Apologies for cross-posting. I thought some of you might be interested to know a whole one year programme we have just started offereing. It is an accreditation and training programme offered in London for TIR-LSR counselling.

The full programme consists of 138 hours training and requires 100hours supervised practice of the many varied methods of Traumatic Incident Reduction (TIR) and Life Stress Reduction (LSR) techniques: an integrative approach that applies detached, mindful observation, in the absence of judgment using a wide range of structured methods.

The earliest start date is 3rd February (very soon). The later start date is 23rd February.

The brochure can be downloaded from www.tir.org.uk/A5brochure.doc . The website can be visited at www.tir.org.uk which also describes the short introductory workshops.

Best wishes,

Henry

Traumatic Incident Reduction (TIR) and related techniques description:

Many TIR/LSR tools consist of repetitive exercises, practised in the absence of judgment, that train the client to better focus his/her attention on mental pictures, thoughts or other ‘private events’.  The continuous focus of attention, intensified through repetition and a suitable environment, can lead to the reduction and even ‘extinction’ of specific unwanted psychological phenomena. TIR counselling is a way to achieve this within a small number of sessions.

The broader subject of TIR-LSR (Life Stress Reduction) is a systematic approach for enabling detached, non-judgmental observation of almost any inner or outer world event, whether cognitive, emotive, physiological, behavioural or other. Tools are varied, client-titrated and applied in order to: 1) maintain congruence with the client’s own experience 2) to maximise client engagement moment to moment, and 3) to cater to the client’s mental resources at a given time. The approach also consists of useful strategies for accessing awareness the client was previously unable to access.

Most tools enable the client to achieve greater equanimity* with respect to his/her mental and physical environment.

* Equanimity is the ability to remain unperturbed by an event experienced within the framework of one's body and thoughts as a result of objective observation. This implies that unless one is aware of an actual (internal) experience, one cannot be equanimous towards it. This defined, equanimity relies on awareness on one's thoughts and body sensations (Cayoun, 2003)