On Fri, 16 Feb 2007, Roberto Kopke Salinas wrote:

> Anyway I have another question/comment: analysis is quite slow

I'm sure Wayne & Tim won't mind me saying that analysis is not the fastest
of programs.  Let's give them credit for their huge achievement in
producing such a feature-rich programme in such a short time with so
few resources, but be brutally honest that many of us would like it to be
faster!

There are things that you can do to maximise your chances of a more
pleasant experience though:

1 Use the fastest CPU you can find (probably 1.8GHz pentium IV or
equivalent is minimum)

> on my computer (256MB ram)  and uses a large amount of memory

2 More memory will definitely be a big help.  Also switch to using
pre-computed contours wherever this is sensible.  It's pretty easy to
switch back to on-the-fly contours when you need them.

>  becomming more and more slow during the day.

3 save quit & restart when you find this happening.  There are memory
leaks that are difficult to track down (and are not neccessarily in CCPN
code!) that will kill you where your RAM is limiting.

> Is this related to the fact I am using Tk as graphics handler? Are there
> ways to circunvent this?

On the right hardware with the right accelerated graphics driver OpenGL
can provide a substantial performance improvement.

--
Dr. Brian O. Smith ---------------------- B Smith at bio gla ac uk
           Division of Biochemistry & Molecular Biology,